Friday, August 31, 2012

Wine Bargains in Margaret River

One of the upsides of the wine marketing business is that some of the little guys get left behind. Not so great for them, but great for those of us who have an eye for a bargain. Of course sorting out great wines that are under-priced...from a sea of 'ho hum' wines is the trick.

We all like to think of ourselves as discriminating sleuths when it comes to finding wine bargains, and to some extent (for me anyway), that's a big part of the fun of wine. But let's face it - you can waste a lot of time and money. Personally, I am not too proud to start with the recommendations of clever people who publish their conclusions about wines they have tasted. That seems like a good stating point for me. If the review strikes a chord with me, then I'll look for the wine.

I am an unabashed fan of James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion. I make no apologies for it. James and his professional crew spend a lot more time messing about with wine tasting than I would dare contemplate. I have 'the bible' with me always when I am conducting our Margaret River Confluence private wine tours (plug).  Seriously, it's the best guide to 'wine Bargains'. I can compare wines of similar ratings and look for that great value wine that's been hiding its light under a bushel.

Here's a couple I've found already:

Millbrook Margaret River Sauvignon Blanc. I know the winery isn't in Margaret River....but this wone is made entirely from margaret River fruit. They own one of my favourite Margaret River wineries (Deep Woods), so they have the presence here.  This wine is rated at 96 points in James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion. Price? $20. It's much more than a 'cheap and cheerful' wine and a dead set bargain!

Cape Mentelle 'Trinders' Cabernet Merlot 2009.  Great wine. 96 points. $32. Bargain!

1 comment:

  1. oops. No chance to correct a typo once it's published.

    ReplyDelete